Old 29-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Vox Humana

Default Closest perennial to impatens (Zone 7)

"Steve & Erin" wrote in message
I have no personal experience, yet, but I have invested in some primula

seed
this year and we'll see how it goes. They are more foliage than flower,

but
the colors are bright and they are a perennial.

I'm with you on the annual vs. perennial thing, but for me it's more a

time
issue than a money issue. And I love seeing them come back each year- like
an old friend!

Primulas are lovely but they only bloom in the early spring. By fall, they
can look quite ratty in my area. Logically, if there was a perennial
replacement for impatiens (something that stayed compact and was covered
with flowers from spring to fall) wouldn't everyone just buy that plant
instead of impatiens? Annuals have their place, but I think that a well
planned perennial border is much more interesting than an entire landscape
planted with a single type of annual. Another downside to planting a singe
species in every bed is that is far riskier. Should there be an infestation
of insects or fungus or a strange turn in the weather, your entire display
would be wiped out. After about mid-June I find it very difficult to find
flats of annuals and the ones that are available are very expensive.