Old 29-05-2003, 05:20 AM
thoranw

Default What kind of bug is it?

That's what I have that they like- a Box Elder!
Now, where would I get a Mantis to eat them?

Sonya
"Tom Ellison" wrote in message
Around here (South Central Nebraska) that would be a Box Elder Beetle.
There are always a few, but some years there are huge numbers. A diagonal
red strip on the wing cover as well as outlining.

When they get bad, and they begin swarming inside the house, I go out and
catch a praying mantis or two. Once the mantis gets used to you, they're
almost a pet, and will occasionally startly you by jumping onto your hand
when you didn't know they were there. And, best part, they catch and
consume large numbers of the beetles. A large mantis will eat 3 or 4 an
hour all day long (probably a female maturing her eggs). Anyway, that's
what we do for fun around here.

Tom Ellison

"thoranw" wrote in message
They're everywhere this year! A flat black beetle with red outlining its
wings. About 3/4" long and about 1/4" wide. I've always had a few

around
but this year- Wow! Do I have something they like to eat? or was it the
right "year" for them. Just curious- they don't seem to be eating
anything... I live in Massachusetts. Or is there a good web-site for

insect
ID?

Sonya