Old 29-05-2003, 05:21 AM
jc

Default Elphant Garlic

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
Bill wrote:

Planted elephant garlic back in February and now have 3 foot high
plants that have put out flower stalks. Does that mean it's time to
harvest them?

Cut off the flower stalks and eat them. Now. That will put more

energy
into the bulbs, which is what you want.
Harvest like hardneck garlic (which it resembles, but isn't really),

when
about half the leaves have turned brown.

In the warm south, sometimes when you cut off the flower stem, the E.
garlic leaves will stay green and the plant will send up new shoots from
the cloves of the garlic bulb. Doesn't always happen but happened to
mine this year. I would try topping only half of them to see what works
best for you. Your comments about Granex onions tells me you are in a
warm climate. I just harvested my Granex and Granos last week. Not as
large as yours (only averaged 4 inches) but not too shabby. -Olin