Old 29-05-2003, 05:21 AM
Cass

Default getting ready to plant bare roots and...

In article , dave weil
wrote:

...each of the plants already has a bunch of new tender growth due to
the lateness of the shipment and the fact that they probably sat on my
porch in the box for a day or two before I got home (I was in the DC
area for the past week).

The question is - since there's already new growth (and a couple of
days of more rain predicted for the next couple of days), should I
forgo the mulch mound in this case? I've got them soaking away in a
bucket while I prep the bed.

One way to go is to put them into 5 gallon pots in the shade with a
mister that keeps the canes and tender new growth damp several times a
day. You KnoW that if you put them directly in the ground there'll be a
100 decree hot spell for 7 straight days. You can use either a
hose-end drip setup and get a mister emitter at the irrigation store or
you could use a hosebib timer and one of those hot weather misters sold
at discount stores like WalMart or Target. You'd have to remember to
turn it on morning and night and it could mist during the day.