Old 29-05-2003, 05:22 AM

Default [IBC] Eastern White Pine

In a message dated 4/21/03 8:17:34 AM, writes:
I introduced a serpentine sort of curve to add interest to the branch.

I did the same thing.

My guess is that with this species you're going to have to go with a
literati look, but with the needle length (unless you cut the needles and spray with
water, or hand-prune the needles in length) you might have to go with
something larger.

18 inches is about all I care to manage. I've seen ponderosa pines in that
size range, & I think I can get the needles smaller than that.

As I look at these buds, at this point I don't see them as future
terminal buds to cut back to but as interior buds to add foliage further in on the
branch.

In my case, the new candles are all where I want to shorten the top &
branches. Refinement will come later. I should live so long.

One of the things I'm finding that will help is keeping the tree in the
same pot without repotting for several years.

I am definitely not moving it this year. It remains to be seen whether it

will be ready next year. Sorry, I only have the room & time for one of these.
Iris

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++