Old 09-11-2002, 03:22 PM
Robert Cohen

Default Kyoto Treaty & Soot From Burning Wood

Subject: Soot Apparently Unacknowledged In Kyoto Treaty
From: (Robert Cohen)
Date: 11/9/02 10:12 AM Eastern Standard Time
It is reported this morning on NPR's excellent "Weekend" program that the
burning of wood for fuel produces soot as a by-product, and that soot's
cumulative hindering of some sunlight is apparently actually
causing/affecting/contributing to weather havoc, for instance, regarding the
recent floodings in China.

The reluctance or opposition of the United States to
sign the Kyoto accord in part reportedly has to do with the alleged failure of
other interested parties to include the regulation of soot which is said to be
a major contaminent, partucularly in lower socio-economic areas which must rely
principally upon wood fuel.

So when I go for a walk during a wintry night in
this tacky-tocky bourgeois U.S. housing subdivision, while smelling the smoke
from the pseudo/sooto decor fireplaces, I shall involuntarily be ingesting the
fragrant pollutants, distinguishing between pine and hickory while
contemplating the complexity & convolutions of the political-economics behind
the the Kyoto imbroglio and fuelish nature of some antipathy toward the U.S.