Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
B.Server

Default Blooming while lily after a recent rain - zephyranthes?

On Wed, 28 May 2003 03:10:18 GMT, Robert Wilson
wrote:

After a recent respite from the dry spell, I started noticing a while
lily bloom seem to pop up out of the ground. Don't know if this was
everywhere or only where I saw it (off Old Spicewood Springs Road).

After taking a look, I decided it resembles a Zephyranthes, which I had
a pink variety of in my old garden back in New Orleans. If this is what
it is, is there a reliable source for cultivated bulbs somewhere
locally? I don't want to dig (gasp!) but would really like this in my
white garden.

Can anyone help?

Rather than dig, you might drop by and collect 1-2 seed pods. They
will look like three peas joined at the hip and split to reveal black,
flakey seeds about 1/4 inch across. You will get 30-60 seeds from
two. They are easily grown from seed either in pots or sown. I keep
mine in pots for about 6 months and then transplant the small bulbs.