Old 29-05-2003, 05:24 AM
Malcolm

Default Wood Lice. Friend or foe?

In article , Colin Davidson
writes

"Malcolm" wrote in message

They can also damage stored fruit and vegetables though that will only
happen if the storage area is damp as they can't survive in dry
conditions. They will happily chew at damp newspaper so if the fruit,
say, are wrapped in newspaper this could increase the (fairly slight)
risk of damage.

As for eating them, well they are crustaceans and so related to lobsters
and prawns, but whether they taste similar I'm not about to find out!

Are terrestrial crustacea going to have ionic regulation like a freshwater
or a marine crustacean? Obviously, this is going t govern what they taste
like (hence the relative blandness of a crayfish nesxt to, say, a prawn).

Get testing :-)

Do people eat any crustacea that aren't decapoda?

I don't know. I suppose one could eat both barnacles and goose-barnacles
at a pinch!

--
Malcolm