Old 10-11-2002, 02:49 PM
Larry Caldwell

Default redwoods

In article ,
writes:

I can't speak to British Columbia. But a neighbor two blocks from my
home in Portland, Oregon just got done cutting down a 100-foot S.s.
after he had concerns the tree might blow over onto his and others
homes. The interesting thing to me is that this tree was nearly 4 feet
in diameter at the base, but had been growing for less than 60 years.
In other words, it had a relatively high concentration of wood stored
in the bole. (And I never did get to check for truffles associated
with the tree! )

The sequoia is a rapid growing tree and tends to be very pyramidal unless
the trunk is forced to elongate by competition. I have seen a 50 year
old sequoia that was 6' dbh, growing in an open lawn. It was
considerably less than 100' tall.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc