Old 29-05-2003, 07:20 AM
Bill

Default Elphant Garlic

In article rscBa.177959$ja4.9106876@bgtnsc05-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net, says...

snip
In the warm south, sometimes when you cut off the flower stem, the E.
garlic leaves will stay green and the plant will send up new shoots from
the cloves of the garlic bulb. Doesn't always happen but happened to
mine this year. I would try topping only half of them to see what works
best for you. Your comments about Granex onions tells me you are in a
warm climate. I just harvested my Granex and Granos last week. Not as
large as yours (only averaged 4 inches) but not too shabby. -Olin

Sorry. Sunset Zone 23, Southern California, USA. Top half? I only
planted three. What to do , what to do. Let's see, 1/2 gozinta 3...
mumble,mumble, finger fumble... Heck, I'll just eat them all.

Warm, you betcha. The wife planted about 50 onions in a bed I prepared
for her. We've been thinning and eating them as green onions for a
while, now down to about 20 that average 4-5 inches but a couple got
really big. Some got so big that they split. Is this common for granex
onions? The only onions I've grown previously were Italian Red
Torpedoes and scallions and none of them split. These granex smell
really pungent yet the flavor is mild with a little sweetness, not much
heat or tears when slicing.

Bill