Old 11-11-2002, 03:09 PM
Larry Harrell

Default redwoods

(Daniel B. Wheeler) wrote in message . com...

This one used to be in the front lawn. Of course, it also had some
80-foot D-fir in the back bordering the back property as well as
off-street parking space. Maybe that's why the owners chose to cut
_everything_ down: reducing the danger of falling limbs falling on a
schoolyard next door, or trees falling and damaging homes. The redwood
in front had already created a root mound that may well have been
cracking the foundation of the house.

It's odd. Another neighbor also has a redwood, but located even closer
to his home. You'd never know it was a redwood though, to look at it:
less than 15 feet tall, and constantly pruned and shaped into a tight
shrubby growth. I don't know. Maybe that neighbor had the right idea.
Planting a redwood too close to your home (read within 60 feet) during
this century may not be such a good idea.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sequoias do look nice for quite a long time but, at some point, the
top will die and you'll have a scraggly, scruffy-looking fat tree (not
unlike an aging biker G ). Redwoods are very poor trees to use for
landscaping. They grow fast and big but, the worst thinga about them
is that the roots will buckle sidewalks and foundations while needing
vast amounts of water. I really hate it when I see redwoods and alders
planted as landscaping in Sacramento G.

Larry