Old 29-05-2003, 08:56 AM
gregpresley

Default Hosta Question

this change of variegation has just happened to a friend's varieagated
version of brunner macrophylla. (the perennial forget-me-not). He moved the
plant, but obviously left some roots in the ground in the process. This
spring, the leaves came up all green. As 'entertaining' as varieagation is
in plants, it does obviously come with some price to the species. Most of my
variegated plants, whether pieris, obedient plant, or whatever, tend to be
quite a bit less vigorous than their all-green counterparts.
"Ann" wrote in message
(Frogleg) expounded:

Ah hah! Hadn't thought about that. But if monochrome 'sports' are
common, wouldn't *all* the variegated ones become plain after a couple
of years? I mean, my hostas die back each fall and put out new growth
in the spring. I still don't see why simply transplanting would make
that much difference. I *do* notice that there seem to be more
variegated hostas ('though smaller ones) in situations with more
light. Have not made a study of this, but I'm going to be on the
lookout from now on. :-)

Well, no one said they were common, they just happen, once in awhile,
and should be removed when found. I don't know why they revert like
that, I can honestly say none of mine have (hostas), but I've seen it
in other gardens, like my mom's. I have seen a green branch develop
on a friend's variegated dogwood, she removed it as soon as it was
noticeable.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA