Old 12-11-2002, 07:03 PM
Daniel B. Wheeler

Default redwoods

(Larry Harrell) wrote in message . com...
(Daniel B. Wheeler) wrote in message . com...
(Larry Harrell) wrote in message . com...

Sequoias do look nice for quite a long time but, at some point, the
top will die and you'll have a scraggly, scruffy-looking fat tree (not
unlike an aging biker G ). Redwoods are very poor trees to use for
landscaping. They grow fast and big but, the worst thinga about them
is that the roots will buckle sidewalks and foundations while needing
vast amounts of water. I really hate it when I see redwoods and alders
planted as landscaping in Sacramento G.

I could understand Giant Sequoia in Sacramento. But I'm having
difficulty envisioning Coastal Redwood the isn't it way too dry? As
for alders...I suppose along steams or rivers, where the floods could
wash them out.G

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Yep, it IS way too dry and hot for Redwood trees in Sacramento. Could
landscapers be liable for damage caused by redwoods? Why not plant
drought-resistant native trees for landscaping instead of
water-intensive species? Seems like people do not realize that drought
will be a constant companion for all of us in the West.

While most of California is projected to become drier, parts of Oregon
may actually get wetter. And B.C. _may_ become a wetlands far away
from the coast.

All I know is that I may have to start irrigating my truffle patches.