Old 29-05-2003, 11:44 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Default covering potatoes

Jan Flora said:

In article ,
(IC_Gardener) wrote:

I am trying potatoes for the first time this year. They are growing
nicely. They are big enough to start mounding them up. Do they need
to be mounded up with soil, or can I use straw/mulch?

I was just reading Rodale's Organic Gardening Encyclopedia on spuds yesterday.
It says you can hill them with leaves, soil, straw or compost.

I found that using leaves lead to small, black hard-to-scrub-off, earthy-smelling
spots on the potatoes. I'll stick with straw (especially shredded straw -- easier
to 'hill up' around the plants) and *dried* grass clippings.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)