Old 29-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Mike Hardie

Default My 1000 free tulips- are they like daffodils

A friend was having her gardener dig up thousands of georgeous tulips
because he had told her that they are only really good the first year.
AFter that he told her only about 1/2 would come up , and not nearly
as big and beautiful. She ended up telling the gardener to give me
the old tulips....so now I have 4 huge garbage bags full.

1. I thought they were like daffodils and would multiply and come up
year after year. Don't they?

2. Do I plant them and let the strength from the greenery return to
the bulb.....or put some powder on them and hold them in the basement
till fall?

3. How deep do they get planted? Spacing?

4. Is this a windfall or just a bunch of work for nothing?

Joy