Old 14-11-2002, 05:42 PM
mhagen

Default Truffles and James Beard and Psilocybe mushrooms: Oh my!

snip

Further north is the world's tallest Sitka spruce near Seaside. I
haven't been in to see it yet, but I loved to listen to a barber from
Salem talk about finding big trees in Oregon and Washington: he's
found about 30 world records so far.

Dan,
Do you mean the Rector Ridge Spruce or the Cape Meares Giant? Oregon's
two world class (so far) spruce are respectively, 5th and 10th on the
big tree list [ Bob van Pelt's Forest Giants of the Pacific Coast].

His book is the current bible for big tree hunters. I may have found
another #9 this past summer on the main fork of the Hoh.