Old 29-05-2003, 02:44 PM
BenignVanilla

Default planting Lotus help needed

"Bryan" wrote in message
Ok went to a ponding store today that I just saw a commercial for on TV.
Looks nice, pretty big considering they only sell ponding type stuff.

Anyway
the was a "sale" on for bare root lotus $15 so I bought 1 (and the nice

lady
gave me 2 so now how do I plant them, how deep in the dirt (obviously

so
the little shoots stick up), how far to submerge them, how much

fertilizer?
I've only ground lilies, parrots feather, & hyacinths so far.

My 2 cents...

My neighbor gave me two double lotus tubers, each had 2 runners, and a
miniature tubor with 2 runners. I guess that is 10 runners (I think I may be
mis-remembering that number), if I remember correctly. Anyway, all are
planted in about 6 inches of clay with a few inches of soil on top. The
large tubors are in nearly 4 feet of water, and the miniature is in 3 feet
of water. Within a week or so, I had 6 runners breaking the water surface.

BV.