Old 03-02-2003, 06:01 PM
paghat

Default Free Akebia vine to a good home (or bad, I don't care)

"Brian & Mary Bigler" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I'm making some changes in my yard and have an Akebia vine I'd like to give
away. I'm in a northern Seattle, Washington suburb, if you're interested.

This vine species grows quickly and produces an abundance of unusual flowers
that are fragrant. I've cut it back to about three feet, but it can be cut
to the ground and will come back with gusto. Given the best conditions,
it'll grow to 30 feet, but I've had it at about six feet growing laterally
on a trellis.
--
Best regards,
Brian Bigler

Lest anyone think you're just trying to unload a miserable plant, I have
two pages for it, & it's one of my favorite things:
http://www.paghat.com/akebia.html
http://www.paghat.com/akebiafruit.html
To ever obtain the fruit one has to have more than one variety which will
cross-pollinate.
Though it does well enough on a trellis, it's ideal on an arbor.

I'd come get it but I have plenty of it already.

I also have a more fully evergreen akebia called China Blue Vine. It grew
to the top of the garage in a single season, but I haven't seen its blooms
yet.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"