Old 29-05-2003, 03:44 PM
simy1

Default a guidfe to what plants look like when young -or- what the hell is that?

(Pat Kiewicz) wrote in message ...

I make an exception:
If your garden is withing reach of tree roots, you should yank a broad fork up
through the beds each year. (The aim isn't to churn over everything, just rip
up the invading roots while they are still small.)

After a post of yours a couple years ago on tree roots, I have
experimented with root removing methods because the woods are only 20
ft from my garden. Here is what I found: in my sandy soil you can push
a spade in, and if you hit a root, the soil is loose enough that you
can push a cutter or even a handsaw and cut the root (yes, you can saw
through moist sandy soil). This year I have done it around the
perimeter, not just where I would run into a root in a bed, and I have
cut several 2 inch roots and maybe two dozen one inch ones. I can
already see that the beds, this year, are not drying as fast as in the
past.