Old 29-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Gary Woods

Default Elphant Garlic

Pat Meadows wrote:

How do you make the pesto chicken, Gary? I adore pesto and
my basil is growing quickly now.

Disclaimer:

In your dictionary, look up "gourmet." Then, look up "gourmand." For
extra points, find a picture of me on my personal page and figure which one
fits best.

Having said that:

Take boneless chicken breasts (everybody has a bunch frozen from when they
were on sale, right?). stick under th broiler until starting to brown.
Turn over, slather with pesto, broil until properly scorched.

Using the loosest possible definition of "pesto," as in ground up stuff:

Garlic scape pesto:

Cut the "flower" stalks off your hardneck garlic before they get too tough.
I trim off the papery top end and cut into food-processor-sized chunks.
Chop in the processor with that razor-sharp blade until the consistency of
mason's sand.
Add enough olive oil to make a thick paste, and a handful of nuts and
process until suitably evil looking.
Use immediately, or freeze in the plastic ice cube trays your partner
wanted to throw away, and which are used for nothing else, except ice cubes
for drinks for the uninvited and unwanted guests. Unmould when solidly
frozen and store in freezer bags until overcome with a desire for good food
and bad breath.
If S.O./spouse/partner doesn't like garlic, get another. Life's too short.