Old 29-05-2003, 05:20 PM
jc

Default Elphant Garlic

"Bill" wrote in message
.... Sunset Zone 23, Southern California, USA. Top half? I only
planted three. What to do , what to do. Let's see, 1/2 gozinta 3...
mumble,mumble, finger fumble... Heck, I'll just eat them all.

Warm, you betcha. The wife planted about 50 onions in a bed I

prepared
for her. We've been thinning and eating them as green onions for a
while, now down to about 20 that average 4-5 inches but a couple got
really big. Some got so big that they split. Is this common for granex
onions? The only onions I've grown previously were Italian Red
Torpedoes and scallions and none of them split. These granex smell
really pungent yet the flavor is mild with a little sweetness, not

much
heat or tears when slicing.

The only time I have seen yellow Granex split is when it was trying to
form a seed stalk. But it might also split if gets lots of water after
having dried out. There is also a white Granex, not quite as sweet as
the yellow and not quite as large but a bit heavier for its size. You
might also try a Texas Grano. It is also a sweet, mild short day
variety and is globe-shaped. The generic Grano variety is open
pollinated and you can save seeds around mid June if planted in
November. Although onions are biennial, the short day onions will go to
seed in one growing season if the plant sprouts before the
December-January cold period when it goes dormant, then starts to grow
again in February thinting it's the 2nd year. -Olin