Old 29-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Tim Tyler

Default The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:
: Tim Tyler writes
:In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:
:: Tim Tyler writes

::I'm not sure how best to deal with pollution. Probably the world should
::tax the pollutors - and use the proceeds to undo the damage they cause.
:
:: Ultimately the consumer is the polluter.
:
:: If they did not demand and buy the things that have caused the
:: pollution, then they would never have been made and the pollution
:: would never have happened.
:
:The consumer just wants the fruit.
:
:Where it is grown - and whether it is transported by burning fossil fuels
:- is not under their control,

: ********. Just refuse to buy imported products.

Well, you could do that - at least in the cases where the country of
origin is known to your suppliers.

:and consequently it's hard to see how they
:can be held responsible for any resulting damage.

: By buying them. They are the SOLE cause.
: If they didn't buy them, they wouldn't be shipped over.
: YOU are responsible.

No event as complex as shipping fruit around can possibly
have a single cause.

You could equally well argue that if the farmer didn't pick them,
they wouldn't be shipped over - or if the aeroplane pilot
didn't take off they wouldn't be shipped over.

:Even if they /could/ specify how it was done, blame would still not
:be clear:
:
:If A pays B to shoot C, who should be imprisoned for C's murder?

: A and B, in all courts of law I know of.

You suprise me - A has committed no murder.
--