Old 29-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Default Pond in the Shade

Phil wrote:
Hi,

I want a pond badly but the only spot I have gets about 3-4 hours of
sun per day and there is a large maple tree which will cover most of
the pond area. I know that falling debris (I'm prepared to net the
pond during the appropriate seasons) from trees and the limited
aquatic plant selection will be a problem but are there any other
problems that may arise with a pond in the shade? Will fish/koi be
happy? Algae problems? Any real important plants that are needed which
won't live in such conditions?

Does anyone have a pond in a shaded area?

Is this a pipe dream or a possibility?

Thanks Phil

ps. I'm in zone 5 Northern NJ.

Hi Phil,
You certainly can have a shaded pond. The only thing that
low sunlight will prevent you from having is lilies. Fish
will not be bothered by shade and you may avoid a large
algae bloom. I'm located in Southern Warren County and I
can see no reason to prevent you from having a great pond.
There are many ponds in the Poconos and they don't have
problems keeping koi. I suggest that you dig your pond as
deep as possible (3 to 4 feet) so that the koi will over
winter without problems. Best wishes.
--
Bonnie
NJ