Old 29-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Oz

Default The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

Tim Tyler writes
In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:
: Tim Tyler writes
:In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:
:: Tim Tyler writes

::I'm not sure how best to deal with pollution. Probably the world should
::tax the pollutors - and use the proceeds to undo the damage they cause.
:
:: Ultimately the consumer is the polluter.
:
:: If they did not demand and buy the things that have caused the
:: pollution, then they would never have been made and the pollution
:: would never have happened.
:
:The consumer just wants the fruit.
:
:Where it is grown - and whether it is transported by burning fossil fuels
:- is not under their control,

: ********. Just refuse to buy imported products.

Well, you could do that -

And if you have conservationist views, you SHOULD do that.
All else is hypocrisy.

at least in the cases where the country of
origin is known to your suppliers.

Usually there is some indication on the packet/box.
Otherwise tropical fruits typically come from the tropics is a
reasonable guide.

:and consequently it's hard to see how they
:can be held responsible for any resulting damage.

: By buying them. They are the SOLE cause.
: If they didn't buy them, they wouldn't be shipped over.
: YOU are responsible.

No event as complex as shipping fruit around can possibly
have a single cause.

It does. The cause is consumer demand allowing a business to produce
them to be set up. It's horribly simple.

You could equally well argue that if the farmer didn't pick them,
they wouldn't be shipped over - or if the aeroplane pilot
didn't take off they wouldn't be shipped over.

No, because they are directly doing it on behalf of and paid for by the
consumer.

:Even if they /could/ specify how it was done, blame would still not
:be clear:
:
:If A pays B to shoot C, who should be imprisoned for C's murder?

: A and B, in all courts of law I know of.

You suprise me - A has committed no murder.

Murder by proxy.
On you argument they should kill the gun used,
and let both A & B go free.

You have a sterile argument.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.