Old 29-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default Electric Box Help

"Roger Hill" wrote:

We're having a new house built and our lot ended
up having an electric company power box in the front
yard. It's green and is about 2ft. wide, 3ft. long and
2.5ft. tall. If anyone has any suggestions on what to
use to cover it up, I'd appreciate it.

We also have a transformer (that's what the box is) in our yard. We
were having *major* problems with neighborhood kids sitting on it and
banging on it in tune to their boombox when playing basketball at the
hoop the neighbor set up. Despite knowing that it technically belonged
to the power company and we had no choice about it being there, I was
afraid of being sued if something would happen to one of the kids.

Fortunately, a person we knew used to be a v.p. with a major power
company. He told me that despite the warnings about not planting
anything near it, to feel free to do it only if I was willing to have
the power compnay cut it down if they needed access to the box. I ended
up planting rose bushes on the ends with dianthus, alyssum and rocket
snapdragons as companions and just snapdragons, alyssum and dianthus on
the side that opens up and its opposite side. It looks nicer and the
kids stay well away from it especially after my little "talk" about
electromagnetic radiation, cancer and certain body parts. *evil grin*

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu