Old 29-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Victoria Clare

Default disposing of grass cuttings

"DDEckerslyke" wrote in
:

Armed with my RCD and my bottom of the range lawnmower I have just
hacked my way through the back garden and collected a couple of bin
bags full of grass cuttings. We can't really organise composting just
yet and it seems absurd to put them in the bin so based on the five
minutes where I was paying attention in O-Level Biology (biodegradable
aka BDG) I was thinking of spreading them in the woods out the back.
Is this environmentally sound? If not then, given that we can't
compost them, what is the best thing we can reasonably do with them?

If the woods aren't yours, you might get complaints about dumping, though
really they will vanish pretty quickly if you spread 'em out thin. Just
don't put them where someone will notice.

If you have areas in the garden you think may be beds in future, and don't
care much about the looks, bung on a layer of newspaper over whatever is
growing there, and stick the grass cuttings on the top. By the time you
are ready to deal with it, the grass cuttings will be compost, you can dig
in the newspaper, and any weeds underneath will be severely weakened.

You don't really need to 'organise' compost. Just find a bit you don't
have to look at too often and make a pile of anything appropriate. Compost
will happen to it eventually, or you can shovel it into a bin later to
finish off.

Victoria