Old 29-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Rod

Default Concrete and two large fir trees

"Steve" wrote in message ...
Hi all,
We have just bought a house that as a very nice patio but as two 8
foot fir tree stuck in it, we would like to kill these trees so we can
cut them down without disturbing the patio due to cost etc.

What would be the best way to do this i have been told several things
namely diesal in the ground or drill a hole in the tree and pour
diesal into the hole or another was using a very strong costic soda
solution to kill the tree slowly.
the ground will not be replanted or reused.

Just cut 'em down to ground level, that usually sees most conifers off. You don't need to use any chemicals. If the
'pockets' occupied by these trees are big enough you might be able to plant some low growing plants to camouflage the
stumps - I'm thinking Thymes, Prostrate Rosemary, Alpine Pinks, Sage, Sea Pinks, Some of the more vigorous Saxifrages,
Lavender etc.

Rod