Old 29-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Vox Humana

Default Viburnu x burkwoodii question

I need to screen an area at the edge of my lot. It is on the edge of a
wooded ravine and I want to screen out the ratty looking under growth. I
have a landscape plan that calls for several Shasta viburnums to be planted
in that spot. I put in a Shasta viburnum last year down the lot line a bit
and it did well, flowering this spring. Some Burkwood vibunums have gone on
clearance for a good price and I am considering substituting them. The area
gets dabbled sunlight in the morning and a few hours of direct sunlight in
the late afternoon.

The nursery also has the Judd viburnurm (Viburnum x Juddii) but I already
have one and while I like it, the plant tends to have a vase shape without
very good screening properties at the bottom.

I don't know if I should go ahead and substitute the Burkwood for the
Shasta? My searches have given a wide range of mature sizes for this
shrub - from 4 to 8 feet high and as wide. Is there a better choice? I
would like something that is at least semi-evergreen in zone 6 because the
view across the ravine in the winter isn't too good.