Old 29-05-2003, 08:32 PM
ajames54

Default BZT

On Thu, 29 May 2003 18:53:24 GMT, "Nedra"
wrote:

Okay 'ajames' ... it "eats" the gunk off the bottom. That is as\
scientific as I can get. It is a microencapsulated enzyme... Which
tells me nothing because I don't anything about chemistry. Other
products on the market do the same thing... just not as cheaply
(or as thoroughly).

All I know is that it works .... when a person cannot see
the bottom of her pond before use - Use it - then after 2 days
the bottom is CLEAN .... well, that is proof enough for me.
No mumbo-jumbo about it.

I read the manufacturers site... (thanks Hank) and it is pretty
clear that it does do what it claims to do, not least because
there are people here who know what they are doing who verify the
results

My issues are mostly along the lines of what else is it doing....

They claim it is a bacteria and an enzyme... is the bacteria
aerobic? anaerobic? The site says it increases DO, is that
Dissolved Oxygen? if so How?

the site says it consumes/reduces Nitrogen and Phosphorous ... my
plants need nitrogen and phosphorous.

the site says it consumes ammonia ... my bio filter needs (well
uses anyway) ammonia.

the big issue is this...
So it eats all the nasties... what does it do with them?
The law of Conservation of Mass says the nasties have to go
somewhere .. but where do they go? Does the Bacteria simply
continue reproduction until such time as there is nothing left to
feed on then die back (releasing all the nasties for the next
cycle growth)?

The stuff has to go somewhere ... just because you can't see it
does not mean it is gone ... I just can't help but think of a
loaded gun just lying there ready to go off...