Old 29-05-2003, 09:56 PM
simy1

Default foiling the squash vine borer

Phisherman wrote in message . ..
On Thu, 29 May 2003 18:13:32 GMT, Lar wrote:

In article ,
says...
Then today there's a new development. I ran into a neighbor today, another
hobbyist gardener but one with lots more experience than I have. He said that
zucchini was a sure thing crop, one that nothing could go wrong with. He said
that whatever my troubles were in the past, they weren't squash vine borers
because zucchini don't vine. Maybe another sort of borer? In which case, would
the foil idea be any good?

They will get zucchini. You can also place strips of
nylon stockings around the stem. Not sure how well this
will work on a zucchini plant, but as the plant grows,
keep more of the stem covered by soil to promote
secondary root growth to help the plant still get
nutrition after the damage has been done.

The borers wiped out all my zucchini plants two years ago, so I
planted none last year and I'm giving it another try this year. There
are "good" years and "bad" years.

Borers are bad every year, at least here. I lost the zucchini two
years running. This year I will simply keep the plants under a plastic
tunnel (open at both ends), at least until mid-june, while pushing the
vine into the ground to force rooting. Later I will try covering the
stems with aluminum foil. I suppose that mosquito netting, covering
the plants, would stop the moths from finding the base of the plants.
I sympathize with the other posters in this thread.