Old 30-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Tomatolord

Default advice for 2 projects

1 - Use PERMALON for the liner - you can buy on the internet DO NOT use
epdm, it is expensive and heavy. Permalon does not stretch and rocks will
not cut it. However it is NOT UV resitant so it cannot be exposed directly
to the sun, which is usually not an issue.

2 - depth should be 3-4 for koi - I bought mine for $5 each and they are
over 12 inches now

3 - include a shelf for plant pots - the shelf should be the depth of a
small pot - stop by lowes etc to see the size of the pots that you will be
putting on the shelf, they have a good selection of water plants

4 - Run a hose to the pond, believe me the pond will lose water from
evaporation, animals etc. I have a permanent old hose running to mine, and
a timer to let 15 minutes of water in a day, this sort of keeps the pond
topped off. Especially if you have a fountain.

5 - make sure the pond is level take the time and effort to do this or you
will always be seeing the sides.

6 there are solar powered pumps but they are expensive

7 Have an overflow area that the pond will overflow towards. Especially
when it rains like this, this way you can put some bog plants, etc in the
wet areas

8 Provide rocks that OVER shadow the the pond or do it with the pond liner.
Your fish will be happier if they have some place to hide, they come out,
however, they get stressed if they have not place to dart to.

9 DONT feed the fish after the water gets to 60 degrees in the winter, the
fish slow down and will not digest the food and die.

10 TRY for a fountain...and put a small bowl at the top, the fountain
circulates the water and provides oxyegen especially in the summer months.
The water circulation also helps to clean the water (remember fish use the
bathroom as well, except they swim in it, so you have to clean it for them
otherwise they get sick.

If you need any more let me know!!

Tomatolord

"Sandie Hudson" wrote in message
There are two projects that I am considering adding to my
garden.
1. steps down the front bank using square concrete pavers
and natural stones
2. small round pond with water plants and stone edging

Does anyone have any advice on how to do either one easily
and cheaply? Also is there such a thing as a battery
operated pump for the pond? Or a pond without a pump that
doesn't attract mosquitoes?

Thanks for any and all advice.
Sandie