Old 30-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Gary Woods

Default Dragonflies - slightly OT?

Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson wrote:

I thought that they spend their nymph stage in the water and then crawl
out when it's time for the adult to emerge, so I'm not sure where the
egg-laying fits in.

Mine skim over the water, occasionally touching the surface and dropping a
few eggs. Which elicits "interesting" responses from below, since the pond
is infested with large-mouth bass. I guess the balance is that they get to
produce enough eggs that make it to adulthood before they become lunch.

There may well be others that lay eggs on plant stems. I know some
dragonfly larvae take a couple of seasons to mature, and can catch and eat
small minnows! They do put on a good air show!