Old 30-05-2003, 01:08 AM
wekimer

Default Question....

same here, Wayne, I have a similar sized pond with about 10 goldfish also.
They are 4 years old, most of them. A couple are babies from last summer and
one from the summer before. My fish spawn all the time, well when the
weather is warm. If you see them chasing each other around the pond and it
seems like 4-5 are picking on 1-2 that is the males chasing the females and
that is spawning. And if left to their own devices, they then swim around
the pond and eat all the fish eggs and any babies that hatch so I never see
them until I spot one or two babies that are an inch long or more hiding out
in the plants.
I did take some water hyacinths out one year and put them in an aquarium.
Ended up hatching about 20 fry and tried to raise them to a decent size
before putting them back in the pond. Only one lived so now I leave it up to
nature and get about 1 or 2 fry that live each summer. I think because of
the size of our ponds being smaller, the goldfish are able to eat the eggs
and fry without you even seeing them.
If you see your fish spawning, a bit later check your water hyacinth roots,
You will see the tiny eggs all over the roots. kim

Is it possible that your fish are having babies, but that they are being
eaten b/4 they grow to any size. Gold fish will eat their young while

they
are small.
Paul

Nedra, the strange thing is.... I've not had any goldfish babies since

my
pond inception, 2 years ago. My wife and I think that maybe we've got

all
males, females, or the other kind. I have 4 lilies, 5 pickerel rush, 2
others that I don't know their names, 2 of the pennyworts, several

water
lettuce, several water hyacinths, and they're all doing great. The

pond
has
plenty of cover. Why no babies?