Old 30-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Anne Lurie

Default BZT

[nothing like jumping in with both feet, I always say!]

I just subscribed to rec.ponds today, in the most-likely-vain hope that I
might get some ideas for reducing algae in my teeny little "water
arden" -- a 3-footer, but it seems to be popular with the local toads
(Fowler's Toad, I think) here in eastern North Carolina.

I'm reluctant to use an algacide as my dogs drink out of the pond -- a
lot, on some days! -- and I have not yet found anything marked "safe for
animals"!

I was curious about BZT and visited the manufacturers website, which did not
enlighten me particularly.

Then, I had the idea of researching the trademark "BZT" as I just this week
learned how to use the US Patent Office website (my hubby specializes in
business valuations), and I found the info at
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield...ate=jhs800.2.2 rather
interesting (although I'm not sure what it means).

BZT was registered in October 1994 by Uni-Tech, Inc.; the trademark was
cancelled in July 2002. Here's what I find most interesting: The "goods &
services" description of the trademark is "microencapsulated bacteria,
enzymes and starting nutrients for use as catalysts in septic, farm field
debris, municipal and industrial organic waste degeneration." I don't know
about the rest of you, but to me that seems like overkill (no pun intended)
for something promoted for use in ponds & water gardens where we expect fish
to survive.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"Nedra" wrote in message
thlink.net...
8 oz sure didn't last me a season. Had to re-order last fall.
My pond is supposed to be 3,000 gallons. Never did do
the salt thingy .... to find out for sure how much big it really is.
Nedra

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
8 oz would last you the season with probably a bit left over. ~ jan

Szpond wrote:
I got the phone number for ordering the BZT off an earlier post, but

never
did see any posts that tell us what BZT does? I know the ponder

special is an
8 oz. size, but I haven't called for the price yet, seeing how much

their other
stuff is, I'm sure it is pricey. Please tell us exactly what BZT

does
for the
pond, and how long 8 ozs. will last (4,500 gallon pond). And yes, I

still have
the floating algae problem. Thanks, Cathy

I love the stuff and think it is the reason my pond is a
delight instead of another big chore.
From the fact sheet you receive when you buy the product:
Eliminates Odors, Reduce Bottom Solids, Eliminates Pond
Scum, Stops Aeration equipment fouling, Improves water
clarity and quality, cost less than a fraction of a penny
per gallon of water treated.

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~