Old 30-05-2003, 01:20 AM
wekimer

Default Pond in the Shade

Phil, my ponds are in a shady back garden and I also have a problem with the
maple trees although they are not as close. About 100 yards from my pond, I
still get the leaves and seeds problem. etc. I only have goldfish but they
are very happy with the 4-5 hours of sun that reach my pond a day. I have 4
water lilies and get lots of blooms too. The first year, just a few, the 2nd
year more and now this being my 4th year ponding, I have buds coming up
everywhere. I also grow pickerel rush, spiral rush, water hy's, parrots
feather, miniature cattails, variegated celery, umbrella palm, and lots of
anacharis. The pickerel rush, anacharis and the water hy's also bloom but
not as much.
I live in the Pittsburgh area. I have had algae problems but not overly so.
And I use CSA which is the same as the BZT everyone is talking about. My
fish are very happy. As long as you have a variety of plants you will be
fine. Enjoy! kim from Pittsburgh

I want a pond badly but the only spot I have gets about 3-4 hours of
sun per day and there is a large maple tree which will cover most of
the pond area. I know that falling debris (I'm prepared to net the
pond during the appropriate seasons) from trees and the limited
aquatic plant selection will be a problem but are there any other
problems that may arise with a pond in the shade? Will fish/koi be
happy? Algae problems? Any real important plants that are needed which
won't live in such conditions?

Does anyone have a pond in a shaded area?
Is this a pipe dream or a possibility?
Thanks Phil