Old 25-11-2002, 11:22 PM
Biosociopaths to Hell

Default Report says Klamath panel erred

Larry Caldwell wrote in message t...
In article ,
writes:

And how exactly does that make them different than land-grabbing
water-abusing whites? If it is NOT OK for indians to do it, why is it
OK for whites to do it?

Why don't you tell us, since that is your proposal. My point was that
they are no more virtuous than any other pressure group that lives in the
area, though like the farmers, they at least have a dog in the fight.
There is a lot of outside interference from people who ought to learn to
mind their own business.

As one of the stakeholders, co-owner of a wildlife preserve,
co-steward of several endangered species, I have personally toured the
area and informed myself on the issues. Among other things I found out
that Billionaire Simplot with 24,000 acres watered with federal water
is one of the "family farmers". That explains the mystery of the high
level of financing that the various "dogs in the fight" have to make
noise with.

By the way, if you look, you won't find Simplot on a deed in the area:
he gave the land to the Nature Conservancy with reservation that he
gets to run cows on it for basically the rest of his life, so Nature
Conservancy is the source of the cow pollution getting in the water
upstream.

I am minding my business, but if you object we can meet in a dark
alley somewhere and straighten out your mistaken opinion of what
business I can mind. I get to all parts of Oregon very often.

Sincerely, Lion Kuntz
American Citizen.

From: Recommended Book )
Subject: Report says Klamath panel erred View: Complete Thread (14
articles)
Original FormatNewsgroups: alt.forestry, bionet.agroforestry,
sci.environment
Date: 2002-11-16 15:49:01 PST

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...enty150mcom-20

Balancing Water: Restoring the Klamath Basin
by Tupper Ansel Blake (Photographer), et al (Hardcover) ISBN:
0520213149

From Book News, Inc.
The three collaborators on this oversize (10.5x12.5) volume all have a
passionate personal interest in the subject matter. Photographers
Tupper Blake and Madeleine Graham Blake use their intimate knowledge
of the area to provide the color photos that document the birds,
animals, landscape, and human residents of the Klamath Basin of
Oregon; writer William Kittredge, who grew up there, provides the
text. The book presents a close look at an endangered region whose
problems connected with watershed development are echoed throughout
the West, and whose restoration efforts--including community
involvement--could be models for restoration projects elsewhere.Book
News, Inc.®, Portland, OR

Book Description
The Klamath Basin is a land of teeming wildlife, expansive marshes,
blue-ribbon trout streams, tremendous stretches of forests, and large
ranches in southern Oregon and northern California. Known to
waterfowl, songbirds, and shorebirds, the Klamath Basin's marshlands
are a mecca for birds along the Pacific Flyway. This gorgeously
illustrated book is a paean to the beauty of the Klamath Basin and at
the same time a sophisticated environmental case study of an
endangered region whose story parallels that of watershed development
throughout the west.

A collaboration between two photographers and a writer, Balancing
Water tells the story in words and pictures of the complex
relationship between the human and natural history of this region.
Spectacular images by Tupper Ansel Blake depict resident species of
the area, migratory birds, and dramatic landscapes. Madeleine Graham
Blake has contributed portraits of local residents, while archival
photographs document the history of the area.

William Kittredge's essay on the conjunction of conflicting interests
in this wildlands paradise is by turns lyrically personal and brimming
with historical and scientific facts. He traces the water flowing
through the Klamath Basin, the human history of the watershed, and the
land-use conflicts that all touch on the availability of water.
Ranchers, loggers, town settlers, Native Americans, tourists, and
environmentalists are all represented in the narrative, and their
diverse perspectives form a complicated web like that of the
interactions among organisms in the ecosystem.

Kittredge finds hope in the endangered Klamath Basin, both in
successful restoration projects recently begun there, and in the
community involvement he sees as necessary for watershed restoration
and biodiversity preservation. Emphasizing that we must take care of
both human economies and the natural environment, he shows how the two
are ultimately interconnected. The Klamath Basin can be a model for
watershed restoration elsewhere in the west, as we search for creative
ways of solving our intertwined ecological and social problems.

About the Author
Tupper Ansel Blake is a photographer whose books include Tracks in the
Sky: Wildlife and Wetlands of the Pacific Flyway (1987), Two
Eagles/Dos Aguilas: The Natural World of the United States-Mexico
Borderlands (with Peter Steinhart, California, 1994), and Wild
California: Vanishing Lands, Vanishing Wildlife (with Peter Steinhart,
California, 1985). Madeleine Graham Blake is an exhibiting
photographer whose work has appeared at the Pasadena Art Museum,
Friends of Photography, and the Monterey Art Museum, as well as other
galleries and museums. William Kittredge is a former rancher and
creative writing professor at the University of Montana, as well as
author of Hole in the Sky: A Memoir (1992), and Who Owns the West
(1996). His essays have been published in many collections, including
Waste Land: Meditations on a Ravaged Landscape (1997). He grew up in
the Klamath Basin.