Old 30-05-2003, 02:56 AM
evilpaul13

Default What's chowing down on my hop plants?

(Mark Pruett) wrote in message . com...
I live in the D/FW area, and I'm growing a Mt. Hood vine that's doing
fine, except that some sort of insect is making a feast of the leaves-
eating holes in the middle and from the outside also. I've been
dusting them with Schultz Garden Safe pyrethrin dust, but I'm not so
sure it's working- it's hard to keep on since it's been raining a lot
lately.

The only insects I've seen near them are these little green/black
metallic looking bugs that I can't identify.

None of the hop growing sites I've looked at mention any sort of
leaf-eating bugs, so I'm not sure what the right course of action is.
Anyone have any ideas?

I'm having the same problem I think!

I planted three cascade (2 are 12" one just broke ground), one
centennial (just broke ground), and two sterling (one is 18" and
getting bigger daily, one hasn't done anything).

The two cascade plants have holes apparently eaten out of the center
of the leaves in slightly odd oval shapes.

If my brother gets his digital camera back from the friend he lent it
to, I could upload a few pictures if someone will host them to see if
we have the same problem and if somebody could suggest a solution.
This spring/summer has been very wet, and half the fruit trees/bushes
and hops I'm growing have one problem or another. The munched on
pattern on the hops seems really similar to the one afflicting the
nectarine trees. (And I know that isn't caused by japanese beetles...)