Old 26-11-2002, 11:35 PM
Larry Caldwell

Default Logging for water - The New Republican agenda!

In article ,
writes:

It would happen no matter how we managed our forests! With a
dictatorship in hand, the Government and companies can do what they
will with forests there!

Not if you didn't pay for it, Don. The USA buys 60% of the total wood
fiber production of the entire world. If we didn't import wood fiber,
the worldwide destruction of forests would hit the brakes fast.

We have plenty of forest land to meet our needs and provide wildlife
habitat, if it were managed properly. Of course, nobody but a few
foresters are interested in managing public lands, so it's not going to
happen in this life. Wave goodbye to the tropical rain forests. They
will be gone soon, thanks to political pressure groups in the USA. Then,
when the USA can no longer get its wood fiber from abroad, the forests of
the USA will be destroyed too. They won't meet demand because it takes
decades to manage for wood fiber production.

You will see it in your lifetime.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc