Old 30-05-2003, 04:09 PM
Julia Altshuler

Default foiling the squash vine borer

Pat Kiewicz wrote:

They live to find squash plants. They can run, but they can't hide.

Yeah, I kinda figured that anything called a squash vine borer would be good at
finding squash.

Normally, I hand-pick the eggs and fish out and freshly-hatched borers that
escape my egg search.

I'll find some pictures of what these guys look like. I don't know why I have
such a lack of confidence in this area. Normally I find picking off bugs to be
oddly satisfying.

I suppose it is possible for my neighbor to be wrong. He's one of these awfully
nice guys, someone I wouldn't mind chatting with longer. He and his wife are
the only neighbors my boyfriend and I run into at the sort of local music and
stage productions we enjoy. I've only seen his flower garden since his
vegetables are in the back hidden from view, but it is lovely, really nice. I
guess I jumped to the conclusion that he was the right person to go to for
advice. I'm glad I've got y'all here on the 'Net for corrections.

Best wishes for a quicker than usual recovery from your surgery.

--Lia