Old 30-05-2003, 04:09 PM
simy1

Default foiling the squash vine borer

Julia Altshuler wrote in message ...
V_coerulea wrote:

All squash are susceptible to the borer, vining or not. Foil produces
limited results in my experience. The best 100% sure method I've used is
vigilence. Inspect your vines every day or 2 for frass, or that
sawdust-looking stuff coming from a small hole in the stem. This shouldn't
be hard to do since that's how frequently you have to harvest the fruit
anyway. With a very sharp knife, slice the vine lengthwise about 1/2 way
through from the hole toward the tip. I try to may the cut along the side of
the stem so it's not a water trap. Within an inch or so you should come
across the culprit which can be removed and disposed of. Usually the vine
closes right back up and seals over as if nothing happened especially if
caught early and if your cuts aren't too excessively messy.

Thanks. Normally I shy away from anything that involves surgery, but I think I
could do that.

--Lia

On second thought, I would really like to try netting this year -
specially folks here pooh-pooh the aluminum foil method. Anyone has
any idea of where to find something like mosquito netting to drape
over the plants? Do you think it will work?