Old 30-05-2003, 04:09 PM
Bill

Default Chayote, choko, mirliton in the USA.

In article ,
says...
G'day G'day Folks,

In New Zealand it is the season where chokos are plentiful. Now
these vegetables are excellent for T2 diabetics because they have such
low levels of carbohydrate that they don't bump up blood glucose
significantly.

Truth to tell, I mentioned them on a diabetes support group. Now
people are asking about them in the US and frankly I don't know where
one can obtain them there.

Can someone please help.

If only 1% of American diabetics wanted to know that would be 160 000
people.

Thanks,

Around here in So. Cal. USA there easily found in supermarkets under
the name chayote squash; probably due to our large Hispanic population.
The wife and I both like them, they're a great addition to my matso
ball soup. I imagine they'd be carried in stores catering to latin
american patrons in other parts of the country. I've never seen the
seeds for sale though; I would love trying to grow them.

Bill