Old 30-05-2003, 04:10 PM
ares

Default Chayote, choko, mirliton in the USA.

I recently tried them; they're very good similar to a winter squash, and I'm
wondering if they're easy to grow or not; they're common in the stores here,
not cheap tho'; the site shows they're selling an embryo; hard to tell if
it's a tree fruit or a squash like plant; I think there's a seed in the
middle of them; maybe I should buy another and try planting it. (I enjoyed
drawing a face on mine and it looked like a little toothless face).
ares

"Pat Meadows" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 May 2003 18:57:40 +1200, Quentin Grady
wrote:

G'day G'day Folks,

In New Zealand it is the season where chokos are plentiful. Now
these vegetables are excellent for T2 diabetics because they have such
low levels of carbohydrate that they don't bump up blood glucose
significantly.

Truth to tell, I mentioned them on a diabetes support group. Now
people are asking about them in the US and frankly I don't know where
one can obtain them there.

Can someone please help.

If only 1% of American diabetics wanted to know that would be 160 000
people.

We call them 'chayote', I've also seen them called
'mirliton' and 'vegetable pear'.

We can obtain them in ordinary supermarkets (northeastern
USA).

I can get them from the two ordinary, fairly basic
supermarkets in my very rural area of Pennsylvania. This
makes me think that they are widely available.

I could also buy them in Delaware, New Jersey, and Maryland
when we lived there.

Here's a page describing them from an American supermarket
chain (Wegman's).

http://www.wegmans.com/kitchen/ingre...es/chayote.asp

Wegman's is a sophisticated (excellent!) supermarket, it is
not one of the 'two ordinary, fairly basic' supermarkets in
our town (referred to above). The fairly basic supermarkets
also have them.

Pat