Old 07-12-2002, 05:14 AM
Larry Caldwell

Default Speakout: Clear-cutting for runoff 'delusional'

In article ,
writes:

I have talked to a farmer in South Africa who
was not allowed to plant trees in a riparian zone because of the amount
of water they would consume.

The one I saw was they were removing non-natives in Sought Africa which sucked
up water and crowded out Natives!

In eastern Oregon, juniper is well known as a water thief. It's a major
effort, but watershed improvement projects often involve Juniper
eradication. It's expensive, because the trees are small, the wood is
inferior and there is no market for it. It is possible to substantially
enhance stream flows, but it involves killing off thousands of acres of
juniper.

Willow is another heavy water user. When pioneers encountered a seep or
bog, it was common to plant a willow in it to dry it up.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc