Old 30-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Sue Alexandre

Default heat stroke and heat exhaustion

Greg:
Thank you so much for the comprehensive information regarding heat and
exertion. I think us ponders really need to pay attention to this, since we
are usually out there "putzing" on warm, sunny days, and we all know that we
tend to get a bit obsessive and overdo it when it comes to our ponds. One
of the items you mentioned briefly really caught my attention.... it was the
change in vision. For years now (since I built my pond) I usually start to
notice towards the end of a weekend day that I'm not "seeing right" and it
has puzzled me, and now I just accept it. I wasn't sure if it was from
being in bright light for so many hours, or from not doing any "up close"
focusing as I do all day, every work day. I thought maybe it was the
contrast between the severe change in routine (close up vs. not close up).
NOW I will try to take any "seeing funny" as a possible sign of heat
exhaustion and as a clue to "cool it". Sure hope I haven't done any
permanent damage to myself - I've just been chalking up my occasional brain
fog as having a senior moment. Thanks again.
Sue
"zookeeper" wrote in message
Greg,
Thanks so much for taking the time to post this information and
correction of earlier posts. My sons tend toward over-exertion (they're
teenagers, so no more!!) and can dehydrate quickly. We've fought a
sometimes losing battle in trying to convince them that water is more
important than an electrolyte beverage, as that is what their "friends"
drink (sometimes as a daily beverage!) It was good to see the
information on using 1/4 the amount of "gatorade" to 3/4 water.
--
zookeeper