Old 30-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Rhiannon Macfie Miller

Default Organic Slug Control

Lawrence Tierney wrote:
Hi there,

Looking for ideas for organic slug control - my Ligularia is on it's last
legs. So far here's what I've thought of:

1. Beer trap (can you use lager?)
2. Crushed eggshells around endangered plant.
3. Pinning down a sheet of plastic sacking (i.e. bits of a J. Innes bag)
near affected plant in order that the wee blighters will think it's a cool
damp slug hotel - ready to be removed at my leisure.

So any other ideas, comments, recommendations?

I have previously posted here in high praise of Nemaslug.
However, it doesn't seem to be working so well this year as
last, and I have little idea why. A couple of my runners
that I've just planted out have been eaten, and a few of the
beasts got into my plastic greenhouse (where they were, no
doubt, protected from the nematodes) and attacked some
marigolds and brassicae and one of the courgettes.
Fortunately they got distracted by an envelope that was
acting as a label, which they seemed to like the taste of,
and I picked them off that.

Rhiannon