Old 30-05-2003, 05:56 PM
animaux

Default Viburnu x burkwoodii question

I have a hedge row of V. x burkwoodii with leather leaf viburnum. They are
evergreen for me in Texas, but they are in full shade with some dappled morning
sun.

If a screen is the desire, I would only recommend (within the appropriate plants
for your locality) more than two varieties. In other words, mix in some plants
which are not viburnums so if there is some die off, you will still have
something there.

On Thu, 29 May 2003 19:37:49 GMT, "Vox Humana" wrote:

I need to screen an area at the edge of my lot. It is on the edge of a
wooded ravine and I want to screen out the ratty looking under growth. I
have a landscape plan that calls for several Shasta viburnums to be planted
in that spot. I put in a Shasta viburnum last year down the lot line a bit
and it did well, flowering this spring. Some Burkwood vibunums have gone on
clearance for a good price and I am considering substituting them. The area
gets dabbled sunlight in the morning and a few hours of direct sunlight in
the late afternoon.

The nursery also has the Judd viburnurm (Viburnum x Juddii) but I already
have one and while I like it, the plant tends to have a vase shape without
very good screening properties at the bottom.

I don't know if I should go ahead and substitute the Burkwood for the
Shasta? My searches have given a wide range of mature sizes for this
shrub - from 4 to 8 feet high and as wide. Is there a better choice? I
would like something that is at least semi-evergreen in zone 6 because the
view across the ravine in the winter isn't too good.