Old 30-05-2003, 06:08 PM
SugarChile

Default foiling the squash vine borer

I believe that butternuts are somewhat resistant. It's been years since I
grew them, but as I remember it, they didn't have the problems that the
summer squash did. They taste great when homegrown, and keep all winter in
a cool basement. In a former life, I grew them in a garden that had about a
foot of topsoil deposited on it after the creek flooded. I had dozens of
squash from two or three plants.

Because they are slightly sweet, a lot of people cook them with sugar or
honey. I dislike this as I find it cloying. I slice them in half
lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, then microwave them in a dish with an inch
of water in the bottom until they are soft enough to scoop out the insides.
I sauté onions, garlic, and mushrooms and add it to the squash pulp, along
with toasted slivered almonds and peas (frozen is ok). If you can find it,
Cope's dried corn (rehydrated) works very here also. Season with soy sauce,
herbs of choice, and parmesan, stuff back into the shell, and top with
breadcrumbs and more parmesan. Bake at 350F until warmed through and brown
on top. Add a crisp salad and a bottle of wine and you've got a great,
savory winter meal.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
I'm so pleased with myself that I'm ready to plunge into more squashes.

Is
there a winter variety that's especially resistent to borers? I might try

some
of them too.

--Lia