Old 30-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Wayfarer

Default Doves

LOVE CATS!! But we have a neighborhood full of both cats and white winged
doves, even my retriever tries for the doves with no luck -- now there is a
new flock of baby doves -- they are the rascals eating my tomatoes!!

Yes, I have tried the "AOL" disks without luck, netting (they get through
and after reading G a e X a v i e r's post I won't do that again anyway),
red "Christmas" balls, scare crow, nylon hose over each tomatoes (worked for
awhile then they just started pecking through), etc -- all without luck.

Someone in this newsgroup several years ago posted a solution that does seem
to help -- they said it was because the birds were hungry/thirsty and if
there was a bird bath and alternate food available they would go for them
and leave the tomatoes alone. So I have a bird bath and feeder. I quit
feeding this spring because it is so expensive and I am among the Austinites
looking for work. But something was getting every tomatoes just as it was
coming ripe. I started buying bird seed again and have gotten 5 tomatoes
now . . . yeah a couple are still getting pecked but at least I am getting
some now too.

--
Marta
(if you email me directly you need to remove the X )