Old 30-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Ophelia

Default midsummers day

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Jo Ling
writes
The 21st of June is the "first day of Summer" and ALSO midsummer's day,

it
being the longest day in the year (the Summer solstice).

No, Midsummer's day has always been 24th June and as such was always the
day when everyone would go to the top of the Beacon to watch the
sunrise. We didn't do that on the longest day, we did that on midsummer
day. We ignored the fact that Druids were cavorting at Stonehenge 3 days
earlier.

Who came up with the 24th of June?

well, in my part of the world (Worcs) it's traditional.

I think, but may be wrong here, that it is also the day of pershore
Fair, and the day that you cut the last asparagus.

Well if we are to have a vote I vote for 24th.. espcially since it is June's
birthday