Old 30-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Pear (was:[IBC] Bonsai partnership)

At 08:34 PM 5/22/03 -0400, Jim Lewis wrote:
So Dirr considers "kawakamii" to be a species and says it IS
susceptible to fireblight. ???

Then Brent wrote:

On the other hand, I ignore P. kawakami and it never
dies. It gets some spots on the leaves but they never amount to much. Nina
had hers for years until it succumbed this year, she can tell you more
about growing it on the East Coast.

Mine would get blackspot every year (a fungal disease, not a
bacterial disease), but I'd pull off the diseased leaves and it would
be fine. Long Island doesn't have fireblight, so luckily I had no
problem. The only special care the tree needed was protection in
winter, because zone 7 is borderline for evergreen pear. This winter
was very harsh, and the tree wasn't well protected, and that's
probably what killed it. I also lost my "hardy orange" this winter,
which had done fine for a decade.
--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD